Friday, July 18, 2008

Westminster Abbey and Afternoon Tea.

On Saturday we let ourselves start a little later than usual so that we could get caught up on sleep. We've all kind of been pushing ourselves to the point of exhaustion so it was much needed.


Once we finally got out the door we made our way to Westminster Abbey and walked around there for awhile listening to the audio guide. This was a cathedral that I loved and had a lot of fun exploring and learning about. There are a lot of tombs throughout Westminster and I actually recognized the names on a lot of them. I always get super excited when I'm traveling around and see things that I remember learning about in various classes or reading about in books, so I really liked walking around the cathedral putting together pieces of history. Sadly Hillary was not feeling good at all , so she left early to go home and sleep more.


After too little time exploring Westminster we rushed to the Orangery at Kensington Gardens for afternoon tea. This is something that we heard about as a must-do in London, and it definitely was a new experience. Tea is a big part of English life, and the Orangery is the perfect place to experience it, with it's amazing surroundings of the gardens and it's "posh" crowd. We were happy to discover this place with mom and can't wait to get dressed up and take Hillary back another day. (We'll have to take pictures then since we were a little rushed to get mom to the airport.)

3 comments:

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Christine this blog has me longing be young and carefree again. I remember Annee and I touring Europe together in college and we were definitely not as fashionably dressed as you. You and your friends look great in every picture. You seem to be painting the town red!

sarah said...

hmmmmm. i think I need a little posh afternoon tea right about now. sounds delightful.

Grandma Z said...

I had a great time in London sharing Phantom of the Opera, Westminster Abbey and Tea at the Orangary with you. There is so much to learn, even how to go to tea! But we made the first learning expedition so you will know for next time. I'm sorry that Hillary got sick at Westminister Abbey and missed Tea. Now you must go back.
Having Beth there is a real plus. She seems sensible and kind. You are lucky to have her as a third person in your room.
Love, Mom