Friday, July 25, 2008

Apparently the Changing of the Guards is a Big Deal.


Who knew? This morning we showed up to watch the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, but little did we know that this is in fact quite a big thing, and to have any chance of actually seeing the ceremony one must arrive hours in advance to secure a good spot. So we got there, saw the hundreds of people surrounding the palace, tried to squeeze in and take some pictures, then quickly turned around and left again. We did at least hear the band play some music, and I was shocked to hear them playing the Star Wars theme song. I may be revealing my ignorance, but I could've sworn that the first song the band played was the theme song to Star Wars and I was a little amused by it.

On Wednesday Hillary's step mom and grandma came to visit and it has been so much fun to take them around the city. They are great company and always have so many stories to tell that just keep us laughing!

Thursday we did a little site seeing for class with them, starting at the National Portrait Gallery and Trafalger Square. We then moved on to St. Paul's Cathedral, which I thought was incredible. It was gorgeous on the inside and very impressive (sadly no pictures were allowed). Once we got there I put together the pieces that this was the cathedral that we had tried to get into on Christmas Eve for some choir performance. At the time I don't think I cared so much about it, but after going into the cathedral I realize what an amazing experience that would've been, so who knows, maybe we'll try for it again another year.
In the morning we head out first thing (6:30 AM, ugh) for PARIS!! We are so excited and it will be so much fun to explore another city together!

3 comments:

Rachel F. said...

Ah I wish I could be coming to Paris with you... And I wish I had my little Paris notebook here with me so I could remind CZ where the great shops and things are. It's been too long since I reviewed that all very well. Kiss my city for me, walk through Tuillerie gardens and along the Seine, and go to my favorite quilt shop!!

Les Rideaux de Paris
32 Rue du Bac, 75007 (7th arrondisement)
Where the Tuilerie Gardens end as they hit the Louvre cross Pont Royal to the Left Bank/South side of the city, go down Rue du Bac a couple blocks and it'll be on your right side, across from a big hotel.

Going up the Arc de Triomphe is the only good thing to do on the Champs Elysee, choose D'Orsy over the Louvre if you're short on time. Better yet, choose the Picasso museum if you're willing to skip the big names for a great collection (not to mention it'll put you in a darling neighborhood for shopping). Amourino ice cream on Rue de Buci is down the street from the Odeon movie theatre area. (that should look very familiar to you CZ) Trocadero offers the best view of the Eiffel Tower (check the theaters right there on either side of the lookout point to see if you can catch a dance performance that night). You know where Galleries Lafayette is and how great the restaurant on top is. But if the Samaritaine has reopened since its remodel that rooftop restaurant is even better!

Lastly, don't forget, best crepes in the city are in the restaurants in Montmartre near Sacre Coeur. Eat at the restaurant where you can get a crepe sale for dinner and a crepe sucre for dessert. You won't be disappointed.

P.S. Rue des Jardins Saint-Paul and Rue du pont Louis-Phillipe may be the area we were looking for to find those little scarf/jewelry shops, remember?

P.P.S. Buy me another grey pashmina scarf? Mine didn't make it through last winter.

Sorry, I should have emailed this all. Hopefully that info helps!

Rachel F. said...

Oh yeah, remember how cute Laduree is for a little tea brunch near La Madelaine? Good shopping too.

And if you're looking for Tiffany's for a Paris photo shoot it's in Rue Royal near Place de la Concorde. Enjoy!

Annee said...

Can I come too?!