Sunday, July 13, 2008

Camden Town Markets

On Saturday a group of us took the tube and ventured up to Camden Town which is known for it's outdoor markets. We were ready to explore what it had to offer and see if we could find any exciting treasures. We definitely did not know what we were in for.

Camden Town is apparently not just famous for one outdoor market, but for being a town FILLED with nothing but outdoor markets. It was seriously shocking to look down the street and see the masses of people and stands lining every available section of sidewalk. The first section we walked into was called the Camden Town Market, and it was not what we had been expecting. It was very tightly packed with small stands full of cheap clothes, each vendor pretty much offering the same thing. It was way to claustrophobic and crowded with people and hard to enjoy. We thought we had made the long trek for a let down, but discovered that we were only at the beginning.

We moved down the road to find Camden Lock Market, and this was more what we were looking for. This market was much more spacious and easy to get around in, and the stalls were filled more with unique, one-of-a-kind items. We quickly came to love the Camden Lock Market and anticipate going back soon. There was fun jewelery and cute items at most stalls and the food everywhere seemed delicious and cheap. I got a necklace which I love and some new toiletry bags which I've already put to use and love as well. Cute, huh?


I have a confession to make. I have become absolutely obsessed with treats while here, it's horrible. I've always had a bad sweet tooth, but it's even worse here, from chocolate bars to delicious treats from vendors along the side of the road. It doesn't help the situation that both Hillary and Beth have the same obsession, so we're constantly grabbing "dessert" together. I try to console myself by the fact that I'm walking way more here than I normally do, but I don't know if that's much help. I'm definitely working on cutting back!

3 comments:

Nate said...

Hey I like the bags it looks like you and your group are learnin to get around and shop. So is that the "belt" that your wearing? or is it an old one?

Annee said...

Cute bags and necklace. No fair. It sounds so fun. Sorry about the treat addiction. Know that you are never alone in that regard.

sarah said...

Oh man I want to go. If you see lots of cute dainty dishes and cake plates and stuff think of me.